Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Day 19


Day 19, originally uploaded by emberangel.

Catch Phrase of the Week: "Winter Storm Watch"
Sometime between 12 and 1:30 it started pouring in San Bernardino. By the time I got out of class, some of the streets were flooded and at a few points I felt as if I had lost control of the car (thankfully only for a second). I got on the freeway and thought that I was relatively safe. I passed under an overpass and I started to notice that the slow lane (which of course I was in) was flooded. There was so much water from the on ramp up ahead that it went over the curb that was separating the freeway and the on ramp and flooded the entire slow lane. Needless to say, I got over. I spent the rest of the drive home in the middle or fast lanes because I was terrified of hydroplaning if I went into the slow lane. I am definitely glad I car pool to work because I have to work in Hesperia tomorrow and the weather is undoubtedly worse up there. If I had to drive alone, I wouldn't go to work tomorrow.
I know it sounds like some kid terrified of the rain. But I love the rain... its just that I can't see in it. I have to wear glasses for distance and I need a new prescription! I've driven home from school in worse weather.. but I wanted to cry that night. It was about 7pm--a few hours after the sun went down. It was pouring down buckets of rain and I was driving behind a truck for half the way with the spouts of water hitting my windshield faster than the windshield whippers could work. The road was covered in fog and the wind kept pushing me out of my lane so my fingers were gripping the wheel so tight, it felt like they might fall off. And despite the fact that it was cold and dreary outside I was sweating. Lightening lit up the sky at regular intervals and the thunder shook me to my bones. All I needed was a mini tornado (which they are possible today near the coast) and I would have thrown my little pink beanie down, pulled over to the side of the road and say Lord take me now.
I guess I am just lucky it doesn't snow here. I would find something else to be scared of. Wind, ice and rain... the trifecta.

3 comments:

  1. What terrible weather, we had some wild stuff earlier in the week but it is back to beach weather again. Love your photos and good luck with you project 365.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing photograph, glad to hear you made it home safetly.

    Si

    ReplyDelete
  3. it would have been more amazing if you could see how much water was spraying up when the red car was driving past.... but the rain drops on the window are pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete